The town of Ferdinand was settled by mostly German-speaking people from central Europe. At one time Ferdinand was known as the wooden shoe village.
At the end of the 19th century, Ferdinand contained many businesses, including a machine works, a brick works, brewery, several taverns, and a dairy.
In 1867, the Monastery of Immaculate Conception was founded in Ferdinand.
Ferdinand was incorporated as a town in 1905.
For more information on the history of Ferdinand visit the Ferdinand Historical Society